QUICK TIP - Bypass Google Drive Download Limit and Fix “Sorry you can’t view or download this file” Error
- 1. QUICK TIP - How to Use Adobe Premiere Pro Keyboard Shortcuts at Beginner Level
- 2. QUICK TIP - How to Use The 3 Easiest Ways to Cut Clips in Adobe Premiere Pro
- 3. QUICK TIP - How to using Pancake Timelines Technique in Adobe Premiere Pro
- 4. QUICK TIP - How To Exporting a Finished Video from Premiere Pro
As I’ve already mentioned that you need to wait a day to few days before you manage to download large shared files from Google Drive. If the file is very much important to you, then waiting for such a long period before the file is available to you is really painful and may be risky. There are certain chances of removing the file or altering that particular file sharing privacy by the actual owner of the Google Drive file before you manage to download the same.
As waiting for the file may not be an option, to download the required file by bypassing Google Drive file sharing limit, one should follow these steps mentioned below.
Method #1: Steps to Bypass Google Drive Download Limit and Download Large Files from Google Drive
- The URL of the Google Drive shared files looks like
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=[file-id]. If the link is restricted by Google Drive sharing limit, you can’t download the file because no download button is provided to you. Instead you will get the error “Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try accessing the file again later. If the file you are trying to access is particularly large or is shared with many people, it may take up to 24 hours to be able to view or download the file. If you still can’t access a file after 24 hours, contact your domain administrator“.
- Copy/note the file id and alter the URL to
https://googledrive.com/host/[file-id]. Place the file id properly in the
[file-id]section of this new URL and hit ‘enter’.
- That’s it. Now you can download the file easily direct from your browser whether it is Chrome or any other browser.
Note: This method is applicable only if the file is shared with “Public on the web” option using Google Drive. The above mentioned hosting view does not provide you download links of a file created in Google docs. The link will provide you a folder to download all files inside it.
Method #2: Bypass Google Drive Download Quota Exceeded for this File – a solution
- Replace the
uc?part of the URL and replace it with
open?. Now, the URL of the file looks something similar to
- Press ‘Enter’ to reload the web page.
- When you reload the URL with the
open?string instead of
uc?browser string, you should notice some controls/options at the top like download, make copy etc that was completely missing from the previous page.
- Now, you will be presented with a sign-in option at the top-right corner of the screen. Press the sign-in button and give your Google account login credentials.
- You can see “Add to Drive” option there at the top-right corner of the window. Click it. The file that was restricted for download due to Google Drive download limit, will be added to your Google Drive account in a moment.
- Now, “Open in Drive” option will be available for you there in place of “Add to Drive”.
- Select “Open in Drive” and it will open your very own Google Drive. You will find the entire folder there along with the actual downloadable file in it.
- Select the file, right click on it and select “Make a copy” option.
- Then, open your Google Drive again, navigate to the root directory. You will find a copy of the same file (which file shows you Google Drive download quota exceeded message) there. Now, you are the owner of the file as the file is already added in your Google Drive. There is possibly no size limit for a file owner of Google Drive to view or download a particular file.
- Right click on the file and choose ‘Download’ option to start the download of the large file from Google Drive. Thus, you can bypass the “download quota exceeded for this file” error message and can download large files from Google Drive.
This method helps you to fix “Sorry, you can’t view or download this file” error by changing the ownership of the file that you can’t download directly from Google Drive link (shared by someone else). You can share the file publicly; you can change the file ownership either by adding someone to the file. Remember that, all the Google Drive file sharing policy violations will be applicable on you as you are now the admin of this copy of file.
How to Share a Large File Publicly in Google Drive?
Google Drive applies download limit for a shared file. You must not consider Google Drive as an online file sharing and hosting service that lets you host and share large files and small-sized files publicly. It’s nothing but an online cloud storage for personal use. However, you can upload and share any files to specific people by inviting them using their Gmail address. Alternatively, you can create a public link for a file of the Drive and share the link with people so that they can view or download the file. A file level authorization can be set to a specific file to edit or view the file. This utility of Google Drive file sharing stands useful if you are a teacher of a school and want to share a presentation file to your students; or you are a team leader and want to share your work related instruction to your team. You can create a shareable link of that file/folder and send the link to the desired people so that they can view/modify or download it. The method of sharing this type of large file using Google Drive is dead simple. Steps are as follows:
- Select the file you want to share with and right-click on it.
- Choose the “Share” option from the right-click context menu. Then choose “get shareable link”.
- A shareable link will be displayed along with the “copy link” option. Click “copy link” to copy the link address.
- Now share the link to the people whom you want to share the file with.